Message boards let you post team announcements and set up threaded conversations among users. Announcements might include planned site outage announcements, new results in a study, organizational and personnel changes, introducing new features for users, etc.
Individual announcements in the message board can also include threaded discussions contributed by users. This allows users to ask questions and receive answers in a public (or private) forum.
Message boards can be made available to the general public, or restricted to a selected set of users, based on the security configuration of the folder. If a folder is only accessible to the user group "Lab A", then the message board is accessible only to users in that group. See the security tutorial
Researchers might use a message board to announce new content and updates to their work. Here a fictional example message, announcing new data and press resources:
Start a Conversation
- In the Messages web part, click New.
- On the New Message page, make the following changes:
- In the Title field, enter "First Announcement".
- In the Body field, enter "This is the first announcement of the collaboration project."
- Notice the Render As pulldown. Options:
- Markdown (Default): Supports the use of markdown syntax to format the page. Notice the syntax help at the bottom of the page and leave this option selected for this tutorial.
- Plain Text: No formatting syntax is supported.
- Wiki Page: Supports the use of wiki syntax to format the page.
- HTML: Supports HTML source code.
- Notice the option to attach a file (but skip this option for the tutorial).
- Click Submit.
- Notice that the Messages web part contains a new listing titled First Announcement.
Continue the Conversation
When you submit the message, you are returned to the main page of your tutorial and see the message in the Messages
- Click View Message or Respond to open the message page.
- Click Respond.
- In the Body field, enter "This is a response to the first announcement."
- Click Submit.
On the "View message or respond" page, you have a few other options:
- Edit: each message you have written shows an edit link if you need to make corrections.
- View list: view the messages on this board in list format
- Print: print (to a new browser window)
- Unsubscribe: change your email preferences for this message. When you add a message, you are automatically subscribed to receive responses to a message when you post it. Change to receive a digest or unsubscribe completely using this option.
- Delete Message: Delete the original message and all replies.
Configure the Message Board
- Click the " Collaboration Tutorial" link to return to the main page.
- In the Messages web part, open the menu and choose Admin.
- In the Board name field, replace the text "Messages" with the text "Our Team Message Board".
- In the Conversation name field, replace the text "Message" with "Announcement".
- Review but do not change the other customization options.
- Click Save.
- Notice that the web part has a new name, says it is showing "all announcements", and the text of the link for viewing it is also changed.
Adjust Email Notifications
By default you will receive an email every time you post or someone responds to your "announcement". Adjust this if needed as follows:
- In the Messages web part, open the menu and choose Email > Preferences.
- Select the desired options.
- Note that emails are only sent when your server is properly configured to send them.
- Click Update, or Cancel to discard your changes.
Customize Messages Web Part
- From the Messages web part menu, select the Customize option.
- Set whether full or simple messages are shown in the web part display.